Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Oreo crumbs (easiest to buy a box of Oreo baking crumbs)
- 6 Oreos cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your cupcake pan with liners
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet until all is combined. Slowly add the boiling water in and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners about 3/4 way full and bake for 15-18 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled start making the Oreo buttercream
- Beat butter for 5 minutes until lightened in colour and smooth.
- Gradually add in icing sugar and milk alternately. Once all combined, add in vanilla and salt.. Beat for 5 minutes to smooth out and then fold in the Oreo crumbs.
- Fit a piping bag with a large tip and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Top with half an Oreo.