Yield: 8 cinnamon buns
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup brick cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Start by making the dough. Warm the milk in a small bowl in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes, just until warm. Stir in sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, salt, eggs and flour.
- Pour in the milk mixture and mix until incorporated. Can use a dough hook or start with a wooden spoon and eventually switch to using your hands when you can not stir any longer.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
- While the dough is resting, stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Melt the butter in a separate bowl.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray (Pam).
- Lightly flour your counter to get ready to roll out the dough.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle with thickness about 1/4 inch.
- Spread the melted butter over the dough in a thin layer. Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mix over top.
- Roll the dough from the long edge to create a log shape.
- The easier way to cut the rolls is with dental floss. Slide the floss under the log and slice each roll.
- Place the rolls in the baking dish. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- While they are baking, prepare icing. Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and well combined. Add in the vanilla and salt. Once combined, slowly add in the icing sugar.
- Spread frosting over cinnamon buns while they are still warm.