Yield: Three layer 6" cake
- Vanilla cake mix
- Eggs (as many as box requires)
- Vegetable oil (as much as box requires)
- Milk (substituted for water as required on the box)
- 1 standard size package of Oreos
- Vanilla Buttercream (recipe posted) x2
- 1 cup Oreo baking crumbs
- 1 cup chocolate, either chips or chopped bars
- 3/4 cup hot whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare cake pans.
- Set aside 8 full Oreos. With the rest, seperate the cookie from the cream. Place the cookie in a large ziplock bag and crush into small pieces but not so small that they will get lost in the cake batter.
- Prepare cake mix according to the box instructions, substituting the water for milk.
- Fold in crushed Oreos.
- Divide batter equally into cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- When done, allow cakes to cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Prepare vanilla buttercream, including the Oreo baking crumbs.
- Assemble cakes with a layer of buttercream in between each cake layer. Crumb coat the cake and then place in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Complete final coat of frosting, saving some for piping on the top, and put back in the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- When the cake is almost ready to be decorated make the drip.
- Place chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream in the microwave for 2-2.5 minutes. Pour hot cream over chocolate and whisk to combine. Allow too cool for a few minutes before dripping on the cake.
- Finish decorating with the remaining full Oreos and piping buttercream on the top of the cake as shown in the picture or however you like.