- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 7 egg whites
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter; softened but still cool
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate; chopped; chips or bar
- Heat the cream in the microwave until hot. Add in the chocolate and stir until combined. Set aside too cool.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks one egg at a time in a small bowl to ensure no yolk is mixed in with the egg whites. After separating each egg, pour the egg white into a large metal or glass heat proof bowl.
- Add the sugar into the bowl with the egg whites and whisk to combine.
- Fill a pot with a couple inches of water for a double boiler. When the bowl with the eggs and sugar sits on top you do not want the bowl to touch the water.
- Turn the heat to medium high to boil the water. Once boiling put the large bowl on top whisking consistently until the sugar has dissolved in the egg whites. You can test this by pinching the egg whites and feeling for sugar granules, this will be about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pot and start whipping with a stand mixer or hand mixer until there are stiff peaks and the eggs whites are thick and shiny. This will take about 10 minutes.
- While still mixing, add in the butter 1 tbsp at a time and the vanilla and salt. Whip for about 20 more minutes. You will see the buttercream go through stages where it looks curdled and it will seem like it will never come together but it will, it just takes a long time.
- Once the butter cream is smooth add in 1/2 cup of the ganache mixture from the beginning. Mix until combined and you will have Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream.