- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for minimum 5 minutes until it has lightened in colour.
- Add in vanilla and salt, mix until combined.
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time mixing in between.
- If buttercream is very stiff at this point you can add in a tablespoon of milk at a time until smooth.
- Add in cocoa powder and mix until fully combined and smooth. You may need to add another tablespoon of milk at this point if the buttercream is not the consistency you like.
- Beat for another 5 minutes to smooth out.